1230 Financial Aid

Financial aid is any scholarship, grant, loan, or part-time employment offered for the purpose of helping a student meet their educational expenses. Aid is usually provided by federal, state, institutional or private agencies. In order to apply, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Renewal Application. Students are encouraged to apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Recipients are selected on the basis of demonstrated financial need and/or academic achievement. Information concerning application for financial assistance is available from the Office of Student Financial Aid. Application packets for the next school year are available after January 1. Students are urged to apply early for optimum financial aid benefits at www.fafsa.ed.gov. April 1 is the priority date for submission of completed financial aid applications to the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid cannot guarantee that applications made after April 1 will be processed before the beginning of the fall semester.

In order for a Georgia State University student to continue to receive financial aid from federal or state financial assistance programs, the student must exhibit satisfactory academic progress. Copies of Georgia State University's policy for determining satisfactory academic progress are available in the Office of Student Financial Aid and also on the Financial Aid website at www.gsu.edu/es/financialaid.

Some programs offering financial assistance to students are administered by offices or organizations other than the Office of Student Financial Aid. Contact information concerning a particular program or group of programs appears with each listing.

Audited, orientation, and certificate courses are not covered by financial aid. Students are not eligible to receive financial aid for a course attempted more than three times.

For more information on financial aid see www.gsu.edu/es/financialaid.

1230.10 Scholarships

A scholarship is financial assistance which does not have to be repaid and is awarded to students based on academic excellence, civic achievements, course of study, or other specific criteria developed by the sponsor. For further details about scholarships available at Georgia State University, see the website for the student's college. Additionally, students may check the reference section in the Georgia State University Library for more sources of private scholarships.

HOPE Scholarship/Zell Miller Scholarship

Students who are considered Georgia residents and are enrolled in an undergraduate degree program may be eligible for the HOPE /Zell Scholarship. The Hope award covers a percentage of tuition to be determined annually. The Zell Miller Scholarship covers 100% of tuition.

HOPE Scholarship recipients must have a cumulative 3.0 GPA at the end of each spring semester in order to continue their eligibility. In addition to these requirements traditional and nontraditional students must have a 3.0 cumulative HOPE GPA after the 30th, 60th, and 90th attempted hour. If the student does not meet the HOPE GPA requirements at 90 hours, he/she cannot regain his/her eligibility.

Zell Miller Scholarship

Students who graduated from an eligible high school in 2011 or beyond:

Must have at least a 3.7 High School GPA and a 1200 on the Math and Reading portions of the SAT or a 26 composite on the ACT OR graduate as the Valedictorian or the Salutatorian from an eligible high school OR graduate from an ineligible high school with a 1200 on the Math and Reading portions of the SAT or a 26 composite on the ACT AND achieve at least a 3.3 HOPE GPA at the 30 semester hour check-point in college. For more information on the HOPE/ZELL Scholarship, or to view the regulations, please contact the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC): 770-724-9000 or 800-505-GSFC (4732) or www.gacollege411.org

1230.15 Grants

Eligibility for federal student aid grants are based on high financial need. Award amounts for these grants vary but do not have to be repaid. All recipients must be in a degree-seeking program working toward a first baccalaureate degree; be a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen; be making satisfactory academic progress; cannot be in default or owe a repayment on a previous financial aid award; and must register with Selective Service if required to do so.

Pell Grant

Available almost exclusively to undergraduates; in some cases, however, you might receive a Pell Grant if you're enrolled in a post baccalaureate teacher certificate program; all eligible students will receive the Federal Pell Grant amount they qualify for.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

For undergraduates with exceptional financial need; priority is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients; funds depend on availability at school.

Teach Grant

The TEACH Grant Program provides up to $4000 per year ($16,000 total for an undergraduate program; $8000 total for graduate studies) in grants to full time students who plan to teach full time in high-need subject areas at schools serving students from low income families. Students attending less than full time will have the grant reduced (three-quarter time students may receive up to $3000; and half-time students may receive up to $2000.

1230.20 Student Loans

A loan is a form of financial assistance which must be repaid. While Georgia State University does not encourage borrowing, loans are frequently necessary to meet educational costs not covered by the student's income, the family's contribution, or grant and scholarship awards. When student loans are necessary, Georgia State University advises borrowing conservatively.

Undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need may borrow through the Federal Direct Subsidized Student Loan program. Independent undergraduate students may borrow additional funds through the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan program, and parents of dependent undergraduates may borrow through the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students Loan program. The Office of Student Financial Aid will determine loan eligibility by year in school, prior indebtedness, and academic standing.

All recipients must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree seeking program, be a United States citizen or an eligible non-citizen; be making satisfactory academic progress; cannot be in default or owe a repayment on a previous financial aid award; and must register with the Selective Service if required to do so. Upon acceptance of a loan, a first-time borrower must complete entrance loan counseling at StudentLoans.gov. The student must also complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at StudentLoans.gov, the student is required to use the FAFSA pin to complete the MPN.

Federal Direct Loan borrowers who are leaving school, dropping below half-time enrollment, or graduating must complete exit counseling at StudentLoans.gov. Exit counseling provides you with information about repayment and your rights and responsibilities.

Perkins Loan

Federal funds are provided to the university for the purpose of making low interest, long-term loans available to students who have a need for assistance. Applicants must be United States citizens or eligible non-citizens and enrolled at least half-time. These loans bear no interest until nine months after a student graduates or drops to less than half-time enrollment for a specified length of time. A portion of the loan may be canceled for service as a teacher of handicapped children or for teaching in schools that have a special designation from the Commissioner of Education. Under special conditions, service in the Armed Forces may cancel a portion of the loan. Students who serve as law enforcement officers or corrections officers after graduation may be able to have up to 100 percent of their loan canceled. Eligible students with complete applications for student financial aid will be considered. Students must complete a master promissory note before the Perkins Loan can be disbursed.

Private Loans

Private loans, also known as alternative or commercial loans, help bridge the gap between the actual cost of education and the limited amount the government allows a student to borrow from its programs. Private loans are offered by many lending institutions. Terms and conditions can vary significantly from one institution to another.

1230.30 Work-Study and Employment

Working part time while attending school is another way students may help pay for college expenses such as tuition, books, transportation, and meals. It can also provide valuable experience for resumes.

Federal Work Study Program

The purpose of the Federal Work Study Program is to provide jobs for students who need financial aid. Applicants must demonstrate need. Eligible students will be placed in offices on campus. Eligible students with complete applications for student financial aid will be considered.

On-campus Employment

Students may apply for part-time or full-time employment on campus while pursuing their academic programs. Temporary and regular classified staff positions are posted on the bulletin board in the Employment Office of Human Resources. A listing of employment opportunities is also available at www.gsu.edu/jobs. For further information, contact the Office Employment, 340 One Park Place, 404/413-3270 or jobs@gsu.edu. Students may also use Panther Career Net (www.gsu.edu/career) to search on-campus student employee positions.

Off-campus Employment

University Career Services offers career services to students from freshman year through one year after graduation. Students may also use Panther Career Net (www.gsu.edu/career) to search off-campus student employee positions. For additional information, see section 1536.

1230.40 Other Sources of Financial Assistance

Veterans Benefits

The Office of the Registrar offers services to certify and assist students who are eligible for veterans' benefits. Any veteran who wishes to attend Georgia State University under any of the veterans' benefit programs provided by public law must apply to the Georgia State University Office of Admissions in the normal manner. It is advisable for a veteran who has not previously used any educational benefits to apply to the Department of Veterans Affairs for those benefits. For a veteran who will be transferring to Georgia State University from another institution where educational benefits were received, a veteran must submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form with the Department of Veterans Affairs concurrently with his or her application to Georgia State. As soon as the Georgia State University Office of Undergraduate Admissions notifies the applicant of his or her acceptance, the applicant should contact the Office of the Registrar at www.gsu.edu/es/veterans_services.html.

Continuing students who wish to receive benefits must complete the Veterans Information Sheet through the Office of the Registrar each academic term. Students whose attendance was interrupted must renew their certifications at the beginning of the next academic term of attendance in which they wish to receive benefits. Those students who are certified on a term by term basis will routinely experience a break in benefit payments between academic terms and should contact the Veterans Administration Regional Office to ascertain the amount and schedule of their checks at www.gibill.va.gov.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Certain physically or mentally disabled individuals enrolled at Georgia State University may qualify to receive financial aid through the State Vocational Rehabilitation Program. Students who think they may qualify under this program should contact one of the area vocational rehabilitation centers.

1230.50 International Students, Students with Non-U.S. Academic Credentials, and Non-Native Speakers of English

International Students

Only United States citizens or eligible non-citizens may receive federal financial aid or State of Georgia financial aid. Permanent residents, asylees, and refugees are eligible non-citizens. Holders of A, B, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L or M visas are not eligible non-citizens.

An individual who has applied for permanent resident status is not eligible until that status is approved. An individual may have resident status in the State of Georgia but not be considered a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen. An individual is not eligible on the basis of the status of family members, for example a parent or a spouse.

All students that are not confirmed as U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) on their initial application for financial aid are required to submit appropriate documentation to the Office of Financial Aid. The Office of Financial Aid is required to submit this documentation to CIS for secondary confirmation. Until secondary confirmation is received, an individual cannot be approved to receive financial aid.

Students with Non-United States Academic Credentials

There are no special financial aid rules for students with non-United States academic credentials.

Non-Native Speakers of English

There are no special financial aid rules for students who are non-native speakers of English.