My research interests are tied together by a concern with the issue of democracy in the Arab world, and especially in the Gulf monarchies. I have written on the resilience of monarchism in the Arab World, on the political consequences of oil rents, and on the political economy of rentierism in the Gulf.
* * *
The Wages of Oil: Parliaments and economic development in Kuwait and the UAE., Cornell University Press, 2014
- Named one of the best books in political science on the Middle East in 2014.
- Watch a short video discussion of the book at George Washington University (with the Project on Middle East Political Science).
- Find it at Amazon, Google, or Cornell University Press
All in the Family: Absolutism, Revolution and Democracy in the Middle Eastern Monarchies. State University of New York Press, 1999.
* * *
Current Projects, Working Papers, Etc.
- “The Saudi Succession and Challenges Facing the Kingdom,” Expert Analysis, NOREF Norwegian Peacebuilding Resource Centre, August 2014.
- "The people want the fall of the regime...or not" Paper for presentation at the Middle East Studies Association Conference, New Orleans, October 2013 (revised)
Kuwait Politics Database & other data
- Kuwait politics database
- Constitutions of Arab Monarchies
- Replication data for my 2005 Comparative Politics article
* * *
Articles & Chapters
"A Nation of Bureaucrats: Political Participation and Economic Diversification in Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates," 2009, International Journal of Middle East Studies," 41, no. 3 (August), 375-395
“Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates,” in Politics and Society of the Contemporary Middle East,” edited by Michelle Penner Angrist. 2012, 2nd edition (first edition 2010). Boulder: Lynne Reinner.
"Kuwait: Parliamentary Politics and Obstacles to Democracy." 2008. In Political Liberalization in the Persian Gulf. Ed. Joshua Teitelbaum. New York: Columbia University Press.
"No Representation without Taxation? Rents, Development and Democracy," 2005, Comparative Politics 37, no.3 (April): 297-317.
"Princes and Parliaments in the Arab World." 2004. Middle East Journal. 58, no. 3 (Summer): 367-384.
"Taxation and Representation," 2003, Studies in Comparative International Development, 38, no. 3 (Fall): 3-31.
"Emirs and Parliaments in the Gulf." 2002. Journal of Democracy. 13, no. 4 (October): 41-47.
"Iran and the Shi'a of the Arab States of the Gulf." 1999. In Ethnic Conflict and International Politics in the Middle East, edited by Leonard Binder. University Press of Florida.
“The Saudi Succession and Challenges Facing the Kingdom,” Expert Analysis, NOREF Norwegian Peacebuilding Resource Centre, August 2014.
“Kuwait's Endless Elections: The Opposition in Retreat,” Policy Brief, Project on Middle East Democracy (POMED), September 2013.
"A Respite In Kuwait?" Middle East Channel, foreignpolicy.com, 21 December 2012
"Monarchism Matters" Middle East Channel, foreignpolicy.com, 26 November 2012