My research interests are tied together by a concern with the issue of democracy in the Arab world, and especially in the Gulf monarchies. Current projects include a study of transitions to democracy in Muslim majority countries; relations between the parliament and the government in Kuwait; and rentier state theories.
- The Gulf monarchies
- Democracy & authoritarianism in the Arab world
- Oil and politics
Short Pieces, Working Papers, Etc.
- "A Respite In Kuwait?" Middle East Channel, foreignpolicy.com, 21 December 2012
- Monarchism Matters" Middle East Channel, foreignpolicy.com, 26 November 2012
- Institutions and zeitgeist:regime type and the pattern of protests in the Arab Spring, Working Paper, Project on Middle Eastern Political Science, George Washington University, 23 May 2013
Kuwait Politics Database & other data
- Kuwait politics database
- Constitutions of Arab Monarchies
- Replication data for my 2005 Comparative Politics article