Ten Questions to Answer Before You Plan To Marry
Written by Sandra L. Owen
Professional Education Faculty
College of Education, Georgia State University
1. What activities do you both enjoy doing together? What activities would each of you rather do alone?
2. What helped you to realize that you couldn't live without each other?
How is this relationship different from any other that you have had?
3. How will you manage your finances? What is your plan for savings,
retirement, and "fun money? What have you decided about maintaining
4. How have you planned to merge your two households (furniture, pets,
entertainment centers, kitchenware). Will you stay in a current
house/apartment or purchase a new residence?
5. What is your plan for living a long, healthy life?
6. What have you decided about having children? How many children would
you like? What names have you thought about for those children?
7. What have each of you told the other that you need in the relationship?
What made other relationships you have had fail?
8. What makes your communication with each other effective? How do you
demonstrate to each other that you are listening/hearing /observing
verbal and nonverbal communication?
9. How do you plan to work through disagreements in a way that strengthens your relationship?
10. What makes you feel a part of your "intended spouse's" circle of
friends? How will you support each other when each of you wants to be
out alone with friends?