Back to the Table of Contents
March 20, 1862—pg. 2

Determined Fighting and Great Losses.

     Wednesday evening, the 12th, the fleet of gunboats and transports from Roanoke Island, reached Slocomb’s Creek, within ten miles of Newbern, N.C., on the Neuse river. The troops were landed on Thursday, the process occupying the whole forenoon. The advance towards Newbern commenced as soon as the regiments could form, but it was raining and the roads were almost impassable. The Massachusetts 21st was in the advance. The enemy’s pickets retreated, and the federal force advanced and bivouacked within a mile of the enemy’s intrenchments near Newbern. The troops lay on their arms in the rain, and it was a most comfortless night. Of the battle on Friday we take the account of the special correspondent of the New York Times:—
     The troops were early roused from their uneasy slumber, and after a hasty lunch from their haversacks, discharged their pieces and reloaded. In five minutes after they were awake, many were in their places in the ranks. Those not cognizant of the near presence of an enemy, would have detected nothing in the manner of the troops to suggest the idea. The line of battle was formed as quietly as if they were going to a morning parade. “Forward” was passed along the lines, and by 6 o’clock the column was in motion. The different brigades kept substantially their chosen positions, Gen Foster occupying the right, Gen Parke the center, and Gen Reno the extreme left. Our troops advanced under cover of the woods until they came to an open space, when the rebel works were revealed stretching right and left for over a mile, and flanked at the right by a battery, the guns from which commanded at once the channel, the cleared space in front, and also the rear of the work.
     The enemy opened upon our advancing troops with two shot from their 6-pound batteries, and followed it up by a discharge of musketry. Capt Dayton got his gun in position, and replied effectively to their fire, supported by a sharp discharge of musketry from the Massachusetts troops. Nothing but the heads of men behind the batteries could be seen, and only a portion of that, but they sent a perfect shower of balls to their front, and the shot and shell from their cannon came down the road, plowing up the earth, or cutting off the trunks of trees. In the early part of the engagement Lieut Col Merritt, who had advanced to lead forward the left wing of the 23d Massachusetts, was struck by a cannon ball and instantly killed. Simultaneously with this, heavy discharges were heard at the left, where Gen Reno was engaged, with the design, as was understood, of turning the enemy’s right. The 24th Massachusetts emerged from the woods at our right, but as soon as they were seen, rapid discharges from two shell guns in the water battery admonished them to seek shelter behind the fallen tress which covered the ground. They paid them back, however, with a deadly volley from their Minie rifles. At 8 o’clock the action became general along the whole line. Shot from our batteries killed their horses, which were stationed in the rear, and in less than one hour few of them were left standing, and many a rebel head disappeared suddenly under the deadly aim of our troops. Meantime our men were hotly engaged with the rebels near the brickkiln, or railroad depot, at our left, being obliged to sustain a sharp cross fire from the rifle pits on the left of the railroad, where the enemy was also protected by rows of felled trees and the natural formation of the ground. While the center was perfectly level, the land to the left of the track was broken into ridges, one back of the other, in regular succession. On the crests of each of these natural knolls, rifle-pits were constructed, which, with their redoubts, extended a mile beyond the railroad into the swamp. Approaching along the railroad, our men were partially protected by a high embankment on each side, until they came out near the brickyard, but were cut down as soon as they approached this part of the road. Many of our wounded were carried to the rear, and our dead were scattered along the track, or fell fighting in front of the rifle-pits. Thus the battle raged, along the right, center and left. Hearing heavy firing across the road, where Gen Reno was posted, Lieut Pell, of Gen Burnside’s staff, rode rapidly across and called upon them to cease firing, under the impression that two portions of our troops were shooting each other. He was soon made aware of his mistake, however, for he found himself surrounded by rebel troops. He jumped his horse over the very rifle-pits from which the enemy were firing, and escaped back unharmed.
     Col Clark of the 21st Massachusetts, was now steadily pushing his way up the railroad, and in the face of a deadly discharge of musketry, with three companies, rushed inside the battery from their right, the rebels retiring before the fire from the flank. Just as they had got fairly into the works, a large force sprang up in their rear, and for a moment drove them back. Seeing this movement, Gen Parke sent the 4th Rhode Island to their support, who charged and drove back the rebels who had temporarily repulsed the 21st, and took possession of the works. In front, the 25th Massachusetts followed closely the 24th Massachusetts, and when the order came to form in line of battle, the 24th formed to the right of the road, and the 25th Massachusetts on the right of the 24th. The 25th advanced in the wood and thicket in line of battle toward the enemy’s breastwork. The 23d Massachusetts, Col Kurtz, advanced into the open space directly under the hottest fire and maintained their position until the charge. While in the wood the enemy opened fire in front, and shot and shell came down from beyond their right flank. Shells came over from behind and struck just in front of their line. Thinking the enemy might be outflanking their right, four right companies were thrown round to the right so resist any such attempt. A messenger was sent to the rear to cause the firing to cease. They were then ordered to pass to the left and support the 27th Massachusetts. While crossing the road to seek them, they came to their artillery stationed on the road, and were ordered to remain there and support it. Afterward, at the order, they charged, and say their state color was the first state color inside—a United States color just preceding. They followed the retreating enemy down the railroad, skirmishing along the road. They took several prisoners in the wood with Enfield rifles in their hands.
     A flank fire from the Rhode Island 4th soon cleared the battery, some of the rebels crossing over and taking shelter behind the rifle-pits, while others escaped down the railroad. The troops of the first and a portion of the third brigade now poured into the captured battery, followed by Gen Burnside and staff. As the general entered through the wide embrasure in the center of the work, a shout of victory went up from the assembled troops, which made the welkin ring. The stronghold of the rebels had been taken, but they were still contesting every inch of ground behind their redoubts to the left of the railroad, under Col Avery. Gen Reno sent the 9th New Jersey round upon the enemy’s right, who, with the 51st Pennsylvania, charged and took possession of the works, driving them out by the bayonet. Observing that the rebels were faltering, Gen Parke sent the 4th Rhode Island to attack them in their last stronghold—the rifle-pits nearest to the railroad. The contest was sharp but brief. Capt Tillinghast was here shot at the head of his command, and fell cheering forward the men. The rebels finally gave way, the main body having already taken to the cars, which were standing ready on the track to receive them. The line of their retreat, and the railroad track over which they passed, was stained with the blood of their wounded, whom they conveyed from the field. Some 200 prisoners remained in our hands. Thus ended one of the severest fought battles since the beginning of the war. Gen Burnside declares it was the hardest battle he had ever been in.
     As soon as the Union army could be formed in line, they marched toward Newbern with drums beating and colors flying. The rebels, however, had obtained too good a start to be overtaken, and to make sure a safe retreat, they set fire to the bridge as soon as they had passed over it. The bridge was soon destroyed, nothing but the stone abutments remaining to mark its former location. They also set fire to the city in various places, and when we came in sight of it, immense volumes of pitchy smoke were ascending upward, which hung as a black pall over the town. The principal part of the inhabitants took to flight with the troops, leaving only the poor, who could not leave, and the slaves who would not, in possession. Many of the poor people, panic-stricken in the presence of so much apparent danger, removed their household goods out of the town, which they seemed to consider as doomed.


Others placed their effects on board of vessels, and sought protection from the flames and plunderers near the naval vessels, which had now steamed up to and lay anchored near the town. A good Providence, which made the day perfectly calm, saved the city from total destruction, thus thwarting the purposes of the vandals who had decreed that it should be consumed, under the silly pretext of thus depriving the Yankees of shelter.
     Brig Gen J. G. Foster was appointed military governor of Newbern. The first brigade, which comprises of the 23d, 24th, 25th and 27th Massachusetts, and 10th Connecticut volunteers are occupying Newbern, patroling the city and picketing the railroad leading to Goldsborough, distance 70 miles.
     On Saturday, 15th, Gen Burnside issued a general order in which he congratulated his troops as follows:—
     “The general commanding congratulates his troops on their gallant and hard won victory of the 14th. Their courage, their patience, their endurance of fatigue, exposure and toil, cannot be too highly praised. After a tedious march, dragging their howitzers by hand through swamps and thickets; after a sleepless night passed in a drenching rain, they met the enemy in his chosen position, found him protected by strong earthworks, mounting man and heavy guns, and although in an open field themselves, they conquered. With such soldiers advance is victory. The general commanding directs, with peculiar pride, that as a well deserved tribute to valor in this second victory of the expedition, each regiment engaged shall inscribe on its banner the memorable name, ‘Newbern.’”
     The series of rebel forts taken were: Fort Dixie, four guns; one 100-pound rifle and three 32-pounders. For Thompson, twelve guns; two 100-pound rifles and ten 32-pounders. For Lane, four guns; two 100-pounders and two 32-pounders. Two forts, at the foot of the city, mounting two guns each. Three guns on a car and two lying on the wharf.
     There were in all three light batteries chiefly of brass 8 and 12-pounders, found within the main breast-work, with ammunition wagons well stocked. Their horses being all shot down early in the fight, it was impossible for them to have removed them from the field. A large quantity of small arms, many of them new Enfield rifles, were thrown away in their flight. These, with boxes of English caps found upon the ground were, no doubt, late imporations by the Nashville, which recently ran the blockade at Beaufort. Scattered over the ground were cartloads of every description of bedding and wearing apparel, picks, shovels, axes, and other utensils, used in completing the works. Over thirty dead horses lay behind the breastworks, and here and there the bodies of the rebel dead in the ditches and on the field. The appearance of so many dead and mangled human beings in every stage of mutilation, was a sickening sight, and one which few would wish to behold a second time. In the rifle-pits, where the Rhode Island 4th made their last charge, heaps of rebel dead lay scattered among the fallen trees. The dead were buried on Saturday.
     Although the fleet could not co-operate in the fight, they silenced the forts along the river, which made very little resistance, some of them having previously been deserted. The fleet passed safely through formidable barricades of iron-pointed spikes and sunken vessels, the Delaware leading the way. Steamers were observed towing schooners away, and were intercepted and both captured. One steamer was run ashore and destroyed. The Albemarle is a fine river steamer. Paymaster Page, of the Stars and Stripes, captured a valuable three-masted schooner, called the Napoleon, in the Trent.
     The editor of the secession sheet, the “Newbern Progress,” attempted to remove his press and type, but the fleet and army marched so rapidly upon the town he was compelled to fly, leaving everything standing. His “latest news” announced in a brief paragraph “the enemy in sight.” A Yankee printer ran into his office almost as soon as the panic-stricken editor ran out, and added a postscript to it, announcing the capture of the place by the Yankees. The business of the paper will go on, not exactly as usual, but under the new auspices, and with a slight change in the name. Instead of the “Newbern Progress,” it will be changed to “Progress South.”
     The brigade and regimental surgeons were sadly in need of help on the field and in the hospital, the number of wounded being so large, and their own force reduced by absences on leave, and those left in charge of the hospitals at Roanoke Island. the brigade hospitals were in charge respectively of Dr. Thompson, Dr Cutter of 21st Massachusetts, and Dr Rivers of the 4th Rhode Island. The number of our own wounded was such, that our surgeons could not give much attention to the enemy’s until Saturday afternoon.
     The number of the enemy in the batteries actually opposed to us has not been ascertained, but from the statements of rebel officers it could not have been less than eight regiments. It is stated at headquarters that there were two more regiments at the Newbern camp.
     The value of the public property captured is enormous, consisting of sixty-four heavy cannon and field pieces, ammunition, quartermaster’s and commissary stores, camps and camp equipage, horses, transportation and naval stores in large quantities, cotton, &c. Probably $2,000,000 would not purchase the articles at first hand. But the victory is the more important from the fact that it places Beaufort and Fort Macon at our mercy, and opens up to us by railroad the direct lines of communication between the rebel army and the country which supports it. Perhaps the public North can give a shrewd guess as to our next place of destination.
Twenty-Seventh Massachusetts.
     Samuel T. Drumming, Co. A; Joseph Drake, Co. B; Edward A. Jackson, Co. E; Lyman Marchall, Co. F; Leander Woodruff, Co. F; Lieutenant J.W. Lawton, Co. I; Anthony Wakele (reported dead).
     Captain Ripley Swift, Co. G, in reg; Charles C. Lind, Co. A, in face, not dangerous; Frederick Kluwssner, Co. A, in leg, slightly; Thomas Bolton, Co. A, in leg, slightly; George Williams, Co. B; Otis Lover, Co. B; Frank Oliver, Co. B; A. Porter, Co. B; W. H. Pierce, Co. B; George Briton, Co. B, in hip; V. B. French, Co. B, in arm; Isaac Powers, Co. B, in breast; Sergeant R. W. De Wolf, Co. C, in arm, seriously; P. Sweeney, Co. C, slightly; Martin Jones, Co. C, slightly; J. C. Delvey, Co. C, slightly; Lieutenant J. S. Atchinson, Co. D, in head, slightly; J. A. Preston, Co. D, in side, slightly; John E. Cushman, Co. D, left arm amputated; Charles K. Baker, Co. D, in temple, badly; S. H. Williams, Co. D, in hand; Charles Barton, Co. D, in both hands; Otis Griffin, Co. D, in left knee, slightly; George Griffin, Co. D, in shoulder; James Bowman, Co. D, in leg; Lieutenant John W. Trafton, Co. E, not dangerously; Albert B. Champlin, Co. E; R. D. Cobb, Co. E, in foot; R. D. Washburn, Co. E, in shoulder; William E. Clark, Co. F, severely; William C. Soule, Co. F, in throat and shoulder; William Campbell, Co. H, in ankle; Corporal R. H. Plumb, Co. H, in leg, by splinter; Corporal John O’Brien, Co. H, slightly; Nelson K. Bowen, Co. H, in shoulder; Jared Ester, Co. H, in head; Charles A. Fowler, Co. H, in head; James H. Perkins, Co. H, in knee; James L. White, Co. H, in head; J. Wing, Co. H; A. P. Wade, Co. I, in knee; Thomas P. Pepper, Co. I, in jaw; Jacob P. Barton, Co. I, in head, slightly; Lieut George Warner, Co. K, foot shot off, Sergeant F. A. Ingerson, Co. K, in leg; Corporal R. K. McGregor, Co. K, slightly; Patrick Hayes, Co. K, slightly; Michael McGrath, Co. K, leg shattered; Charles H. Blight, Co. E, in arm; L. F. Hall, Co. E, in hand; Wm. Barrett, Co. E, in arm; R. J. Brush, Co. E, in hip; Martin C. Parrish, Co. E, in leg, slightly; D. Austin, Co. F, arm and side; A. Noble, Co. F, in face; Edward Brown, Co. F, in temple; John Madison, Co. F, slightly; Calvin Trent, Co. F, slightly; Edward H. Coyt, Co. F, slightly; John Dorphin, Co. F, slightly; Levi Bosworth, Co. F, slightly; Amos Pomeroy, Co. F, slightly; Daniel Bates, Co. F, slightly; Charles H. Searle, Co. F, slightly; Alfred Wood [unreadable remainder of last name], Co. F. slightly [unreadable two lines], Wm. D. Steele, Co. G, in hand; Patrick Coffin, Co. G; Corporal M. M. Adams, Co. G, leg broken; James Sullivan, Co. G, mortally; Thomas Monlin, Co. G in face; John Manis, Co. G, in side; Calvin Blackman, Co. G, in head.
Twenty-First Massachusetts
     Wm Flint, Co. A; Color Corporal W. H. Bracket, Co. B; Patrick Cusling, Co. B; Thomas Hurst, Co. C; Lewis Dana, Co. C; Wm H. Williston, Co


C.; Charles H. Sinclair, Co. E; Corporal M. W. Paul, Co. F; Lieutenant (acting adjutant) F. A. Stearns, Co. I; Corporal C. L. Woodworth, Co. I; Corporal G. E. Sayles, Co. I; Edward Jackson, Co. I; Patrick Martin, Co. K; James Sullivan, Co. K; James O. Fessenden, Co. K; Jos E. Stone, Co. K.
     W.H. Johnson, Co. A, seriously; James C. Barker, Co. A, seriously; Sergeant Wm B. Hill, Co. A, flesh wound in the abdomen; Corporal E. W. Stone, Co. A, in the ankle; Corporal Geo Carter, Co. A, in the thigh badly; Erastus Weeks, Co. A, in the temple slightly; S. S. Haywood, Co. A, in the arm slightly; C. S. Wilder, Co. A, in the head slightly; J. B. Cummings, Co. A, in the shoulder severely; Ansell Orcutt, Co. A, in the nose; Corporal Miller, Co. B, in the abdomen badly; James McEwen, Co. B, in the breast; Bernard Connolly, Co. B, in both arms; P. J. Dixon, Co. B, in the face badly; Samuel C. Goodenow, Co. B, in the left leg; James Ward, Co. B, in the hand; John N. Smith, Co. B, in the arms; Corporal Albert Patterson, Co. C, in the right arm; Jeffrey Vail, Co. C, in both legs; Herbert Cluffey, Co. C, in shoulder; A. H. Smith, Co. C, in thigh; F. S. Rogers, Co. C, in cheek; P. E. Osborn, Co. D in neck slightly; Justin Brown, Co. E, in hip badly; Richard Barry, Co. F; Benj Fairbanks, Co. F; Captain J. D. Fraser, Co. I in right elbow; Timothy Collins, Co. I, in thigh badly; Austin Martin, Co. I slightly; F. S. Fairbanks, Co. I, slightly; A. M. Jones, Co. I, in leg; Corporal P. Knight, Co. I, in arm; Sergeant R. B. Chamberlain, Co. I, right ear shot off; George Wheelock, Co. I, in hand; Lieutenant Harrison Aldrich, Co. K, in shoulder.
Twenty-Third Massachusetts.
     Lieut Col Henry Meritt; Corporal Charles W. Gray, Co A; Walter A. Potter, Co. D; Joseph A. Churchill, Co. E; Wm Morey, Co. C; Wm Wallace, Co. G; (died of his wound after battle.)
     Capt W. C. Sawyer, Co. H, in left leg, amputated; Capt W. B. Alexander, in hand; Corporal Wm Andrews, Co. A, in ankle; J. A. Payne, Co. A, slightly; J. Kelly, Co. A; Patrick Fenten, Co. B, in thigh; A. Cuthbertson, Co. B, in head, seriously; T. J. Chamier, Co. B; U. C. Meers, Co. B; Sergeant A. C. Miller, Co. C, right arm amputated; Corporal Frank Butler, Co. C, in head, seriously; M. Van Consells, Co. C, right arm amputated; Charles Day, Co. C; H. S. Buffington, Co. C, in foot; O. Chapdellan, Co. C; T. M. Atwood, Co. C; J. D. Bowman, Co. D, left arm, flesh; Chas Kavenagh, Co. D, in breast, seriously; A. Morse, Co. D, in back, slightly; N. J. Lake, Co. D, in right arm; Charles Sears, Co. D, slightly; E. T. Jennings, Co. D, in shoulder, slightly; A. H. Hilman, Co. D, right arm broken; Samuel Johnson, Co. D; Sergeant J. D. Torry, Co. E, in ankle; B. T. Thayer, Co. E; Corp’l L. L. Robinson, Co. F, in hand; F. H. Brooks, Co. F, in arm; W. A. Pinckham, Co. F; E. L. Brown, Co. F; J. E. Williams, Co. G, in knee, seriously; John Gladden, Co. G, in leg; James Dodge, Co. G, in shoulder; Patrick Berry, Jr., Co. L, in knee; Wm M. Pillsbury, Co. H, in lungs, seriously; Walter Thayer, Co. H; J. W. Willard, Co. H; Charles Curtis, Co. K.
Twenty-Fourth Massachusetts.
     Cornelius Hendrick, Co. A; Wm. Banns, Co. A; Wm. C. Brown, Co. F; Samuel Lynes, Co. F; A. J. Merritt, Co. I; Chas Riley, Co. I; James Moreland, Co. K.
     Major R. H. Stevenson, in leg; Adjutant W. L. Horton, in right shoulder; Lieut Daniel Sergeant, Co. E; Lieut James B. Nichols, Co. I; Corporal Charles Baker, Co. A; James Patterson, Co. A; S. E. Tuttle, Co. A; Drummer F. H. Rivers, Co. A; Sergeant Charles E. Perkins, Co. C; John Thomas, Co. C; John W. Bartlett, Co. C; John Carber, Co. C; Robert Risk, Co. C; Peter Powers, Co. C; L. A. De Ribus, Co. D; Cyrus Gitchell, Co. D; Robert T. Lucas, Co. D; Charles B. Sanders, Co. D; George W. Watrous, Co. D; Ephraim Walker, Co. D, slightly; Sergeant Wm. Arvedson, Co. E, in leg; Corporal Wm. Townsend, Co. E, in hand; E. A. Billings, Co. F, badly; John Glassett, Co. F, badly; John Marshall, Co. F, foot, slightly; C. Kischer, Co. F; H. Newbury, Co. F; Robert Clark, Co. F, in hand, slightly; Wm. Jones, Co. F, badly; Wm. Lyons, Co. F; H. S. Gilmore, Co. G, in arm, slightly; — Lingham, Co. G, in arm, slightly; A. P. Cobb, Co. G, slightly; M. McDermott, Co. G, slightly; Corporal Beattie, Co. I; John Shine, Co. I, seriously; E. Merrit, Co. I, hand, slightly; Denis Fitzgerald, Co. I, slightly; E. N. Tucher, Co. I, slightly; A. Anderson, Co. I, in head, slightly; John Hope, Co. K, badly.
Twenty-Fifth Massachusetts.
     Eli Pike, Co. A; Chas. A. Rodgers, Co. B; J. Austin Fish, Co. B; Corporal Albert A. Marshall, Co. C.
     L. D. Hadley, Co. B, arm amputated; D. D. Davenport, Co. B, arm broken; W. A. Felton, Co. B; Sergeant John Howe, Co. C, flesh wound in leg; Sergeant A. A. Messer, Co. C, neck, slightly; Corporal Marshall Lee, Co. C, in body, slightly; James Haverstock, Co. C, in hand; W. A. Andrews, Co. D, in head, severely; John Masterson, Co. K, three fingers of right hand shot off; James Gunirgill, Co. K, in fore finger; Morris Doran, Co. K, thumb and fore finger of left hand; Michael McMahon, Co. K, in left leg; Patrick Lehoy, Co. K, slightly; Capt V. V. Parkhurst, Co. I, left leg fractured; Chas. W. Blanchard, Co. I, finger shot off; John S. Mayo, Co. I, in left elbow.
Eighth Connecticut.
     H. F. D. Phelps, Co. B; Owen Downey, Co. B; Charles Patterson, Co. I.
     Captain Charles H. Upham, Co. K, in shoulder; Corporal C. Elwood, Co. A, in wrist; Philo A. Mattson, Co. A, in head; Henry S. Parker, Co. K, in shoulder.
Tenth Connecticut.
     Sergeant Joseph A. Lombard, Co. I; James C. Smith, Co. B; Patrick Marron, Co. F; John Gannon, Co. H; James McDonald, Co. I.
     Sergeant Henry M. Kapper, Co. G; Corporal Edwin Perkins, Co. H; Corporal George H. Dayton, Co. I; Leverett Kirkham, Co. A; Frank Lyman, Co. B; Michael Hearn, Co. B; G. Sherman, Co. B; John Parker, Co. B; Edward Risley, Co. B; George Daniels, Co. D; William Davis, Co. E; Conrad Greggs, Co. E; L. Ward, Co. E; H. W. Garland, Co. F; Raymond Bixby, Co. G; B. Murphy, Co. G; William Evans, Co. I.
Eleventh Connecticut.
     Capt Edwin R. Lee, Co. D; Gee Bills, Co. D; Peter Former, Co. E; Clark Decker, Co. I; Chas Mitchell, Co. B; Henry Smith, Co. C.
     Sergeant Watson C. Saullir, Co. D, left leg shot off; Sergeant Alfred West, Co. G, in the eye; Corporal James B. Styles, Co. D, in the hand; Corporal Henry Brazer, Co. I, in the shoulder; Orlando Morgan, Co. A, in the hand; John Thompson, Co. A, in the hand; Edward Confroy, Co. A, slightly; Wm W Scofield, Co. B, in the finger; John C. Auldrich, Co. D, in the hand; George Brown, Co. D, right arm shot off; Job Beaman, Co. D, left arm shot off; Wm H. Slack, Co. D, left arm shot off; Edward Gorman, Co. D, in the side; John Schrugrne, Co. E, in the arm; Eugene Bourdor, Co. F, in the wrist; Justus Rindge, Co. F, in the hand; Peter Germans, Co. F, in the head; Albert Todd, Co. I, in the abdomen; Habilah Robbins, Co. H, in the head; Eugene Darroll, Co. K, foot shot off; Capt John Williams, Union Coast Guard, in the thigh; Lieut Hughes, Union Coast Guard, in the leg; Sergeant J. Mindenball, Union Coast Guard, in the side, not severely; Quartermaster Wilson, of transport Cossak, leg shot off.
Aggregate Loss.
  Killed Wounded
Twenty-Seventh Massachusetts 6 78
Twenty-Third Massachusetts 5 39
Twenty-Fourth Massachusetts 8 41
Twenty-Fifth Massachusetts 4 6
Total 28 191

  Killed Wounded
Fifty-First New York 14 78
Ninth New Jersey 4 58
Twenty-First Massachusetts 17 40
Fifty-First Pennsylvania (unknown) 10
Total 35 186

  Killed Wounded
Fourth Rhode Island 10 22
Fifth Rhode Island 4 7
Eleventh Connecticut 6 21
Eighth Connecticut 8 4
Total 28 64