Applying to the M.A. Programs in Human Communication and Social Influence and Mass Communication
Students wishing to pursue the Human Communication and Social Influence and Mass Communication tracks may apply for Fall or Spring admission. Early application is strongly encouraged, especially for those wishing to apply for the limited number of assistantships we offer at the M.A. level.
February 15 (to be assured of consideration for funding).
March 15 (for Fall admission).
Oct 15 (for Spring admission).
In addition to the general requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences, the department of Communication has the following requirements:
* Acceptable scores on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE exam. Generally, the department seeks students with combined verbal and quantitative scores of 1100 or higher. The minimum score for consideration of admission (combined verbal and quantitative) is 1000.
* An undergraduate cummulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher. (In cases where the cumulative GPA falls slightly below 3.0, but the GPA in the major or in the last two years is above 3.0, the applicant should indicate this in the personal statement.) Because Communication is an interdisciplinary major, we accept students with undergraduate degrees in all areas. We do not require applicants to have an undergraduate major in Communication.
* Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can evaluate the applicant's potential for creative or scholarly work.
* Official transcripts from all colleges/universities the applicant has attended.
* Personal statement of goals for pursuing the degree. The personal statement is generally 1 to 2 pages (single spaced), in essay form, which gives the admissions committee a sense of who you are, your intellectual or artistic formation and interests, and your reasons for wanting to study in our department.
For more information, please contact the Graduate Director for Human Communication and Social Influence and Mass Communication:
Dr. Mary E. Stuckey
Georgia State University
Dept of Communication
1022 One Park Place
Atlanta, GA 30303