Skip to Content | Text-only


Department of Communication
Undergraduate FAQs
(Frequently Asked Questions)

  1. How do I get overflowed into a class?

    Compete the overflow form and have it signed by the instructor. Then, bring it back to the Dept.’s Undergraduate Studies Office. If there is room in the class to accept overflows, you will be added to the class in the next two (2) days. If there is no room you will be contacted by email or phone.

  2. I can’t get overflowed into a class. What do I do now?

    Please print out a copy of your Academic Evaluation form and bring it with you to walk-in advisement. An advisor can help you find a class that you may have overlooked. Read over your evaluation carefully to make sure that there are not alternate classes you could take while waiting for a space in a specific class.

  3. Is Dept.’s Undergraduate Studies Office where I come to change my major/minor/concentration?

    No. Please go to office 418 General Classroom Building (GCB) and complete a change of major/minor form. Return the completed form to that office.

  4. I don’t know who my advisor is. Who should I see?

    You can see Carmela Pattillo or any assistant advisors on duty without an appointment. Any of them can answer your question or refer you to someone else. Dr. Douglas Barthlow, Undergraduate Studies Dir., advises students by appointment only.

  5. How do I find out if I have been accepted to the undergraduate or graduate programs in communication?

    If you have not received correspondence 6-8 weeks after submitting your application, you should contact: 1) the Undergraduate Admissions office at 404-413-2500 or 2) the Graduate Admissions office at 404-413-5040.

  6. I would like information on the Department, Admission, and Financial Aid.

    The best way to get information about the Department is on our website ( Information about admission and financial aid can be found on the university website (

  7. My GPA is just below the 2.5 required to take upper level course work in the Film/video and Journalism major. Can I still take upper level courses in my major?

    Not until your Institutional GPA is at the minimum required GPA of 2.5. There are generally no exceptions to this rule. If your grades will be rising at the end of the term, that is good news. However, you will not be permitted to register until after the grades posted and your GPA has changed on the academic evaluation.

  8. Who signs my graduation audit?

    Dr. Doug Barthlow, the Undergraduate Studies Dir., signs your graduation audit after you’ve signed it indicating that you agree with the marks on the audit. If you don’t agree with the marks or you’ve found errors on the audit, then you should make an appointment with Dr. Barthlow to discuss the problems. Signed audits are submitted to the Undergraduate Studies office and processed to the College of Arts and Sciences.

  9. Where can I get my academic evaluation?

    You can print your evaluation from any computer. Your evaluation is a part of your PAWS GoSolar account; it is listed under student records as “Academic Evaluation.”

  10. How do I get an internship for credit?

    You may read about the internship eligibility requirements at the Internship page. You may also pick up a hard copy here in the Undergraduate Studies office where you submit your application materials. Please read over the requirements before you complete the paperwork to be certain that you are eligible to earn academic credit for an internship experience. The Faculty Internship Coordinator will contact you to facilitate your search for an internship site.

  11. How many credit hours is an internship?

    An internship requires a minimum of 60 hours of work at your internship site for each hour of undergraduate credit; graduate students are required to have a minimum of 80 hours for each credit. Undergrads can earn up to six credits in the internship course before graduating; graduate students can a maximum of three internship credits before graduating.

  12. Can my internship count as an elective?

    Yes. Your internship can be counted as an elective if you have completed all of your major coursework.

  13. Who is in charge of scholarships?

    Answer: Todd Studebaker is the chairperson for the Scholarship Committee in the Department of Communication. However, if you are looking for general information about the scholarships that are offered and their requirements, you can read that material at the Scholarship page. You may also pick up an application in the Undergraduate Studies office.

  14. I would like information on scholarships for incoming freshmen or transfer students.

    The Department of Communication scholarships are limited to students who are juniors and seniors that are already active students in our department. If you are seeking additional funding for education, first contact the university financial aid office. Then, you may consider, a free service that helps students find scholarships and other funding for college education.

  15. How can I get an out-of-state fee waiver?

    This decision is made by the Dean’s Office. You may request that the Department recommend you to the Dean’s Office for a waiver by emailing the Associate Chair, Dr. Greg Lisby, You must have a 3.0 GPA in order to receive the out-of-state tuition waiver. Your GPA will be verified before the Associate Chair makes a recommendation to the Dean. You may also want to contact the Admissions Office about residency requirements, which can lower your tuition fees if you have appropriate supporting documentation to justify the change at the end of your first school year. This kind of change is not contingent upon GPA.