A. Napier -- Reid -- Rainey --
Bronson -- Stubbs
114 N. Madison Ave
Eagle Tavern 1816-1822
Greek Revival remodelling 1846-1852
The original building was first owned by Thomas T. Napier until the dealth of
his wife. The next owner was William Wilkins who at one time or another owned
every known inn and tavern in the town. Wilkins, however, was heavily in debt
and lost the Eagle Tavern in 1935.
The house was then bought by Andrew and A.S. Reid at a sheriff's sale. By 1846 Andrew was sole owner and began to add to the house including large fluted Doric columns on three sides. Joel Chandler Harris and his mother lived for a time in a small cottage behind the house. Andrew Reid died in 1865 and the house was again sold, this time to Frank Leverette.
Leverette lived in the house until his job called him to Macon forcing him to sell the home. Jim Rainey, the new buyer, would own the home until 1914 when he sold it to E.F. Bronson. On Bronson's death the house was inherited by Mrs. Eunice Bronson Stubbs who lived there until her death in 1985.
Although the house has endured numerous owners and trends very few modifications were made to the original portion of the house. Today the house serves as the headquarters for the Eatonton-Putnam County Historical Society.