403 Grading Policy

403.01 Grading System

The grading system at Georgia State University is governed by the Uniform Grading Policy of the University System (BOR Policy, Section 304). Letter grades "A," "B," "C," "D," and "F" are given with the exception that the "D" grade is not given in the Division of Graduate Studies of the College of Arts and Sciences. In addition, grades of "I," "IP," "W," "WF," "S," "U," "AU," "K," are used for specific purposes. The meaning of each grade is defined in the current general Catalog.

Grades are interpreted on a four-point system, with a value of four points for a grade of "A" and one point for a grade of "D."

403.02 Reporting of Grades

All final grades must be reported on the forms supplied by the Office of the Registrar no later than noon of the next business day following the last officially scheduled day of final examinations. Failure to comply with reporting deadlines results in incomplete grade reports to students (necessitating a second report) and delays to colleges in determining suspension/probation and dean's list. Even an hour delay beyond the deadline can mean that a grade roll may not be processed with the regular computer report. Faculty members are urged, however, to turn in the grades for each class as soon as possible after each final examination is given. Grades are turned in according to college practice.

The University considers student grades to be private information and prohibits the posting of grades by name or social security number on bulletin boards or classroom or office doors. A faculty member may permit a student to provide a self-addressed stamped postcard or envelope for early receipt of a grade. This policy is derived from the institution's interpretation of the Family Rights and Privacy Act (see Appendices V and W).

403.03 Policy on Grades of "I" ("Incomplete")

The notation of "I" may be given to a student who, for nonacademic reasons beyond his or her control, is unable to meet the full requirements of a course. In order to qualify for an "I", a student must:

When a student has a nonacademic reason for not completing one or more of the assignments for a course, including examinations, and wishes to receive an incomplete for the course, it is the responsibility of the student to inform the instructor in person or in writing of the reason.

The grade of "I" is awarded at the discretion of the instructor and is not the prerogative of the student. Conditions to be met for removing an "I" are established by the instructor. Registering in a subsequent semester for a couse in which a grade of incomplete has been received will not remove the grade of incomplete. No student may graduate with an "I" on his or her record.

Deadline for Removal of "I": A student receiving a grade of "I" is expected to consult with the instructor within the prescribed time limit and to complete all necessary work. The period of time given to a student to remove a grade of "I" is established by the instructor, subject only to the maximum time limit set by the university. The university requires that a grade of "I" be removed not later than the end of the second academic term after the grade of "I" was assigned (whether or not the student was enrolled during these two terms).

The Office of the Registrar will assign a grade of "F" at the end of the second academic term unless the Office of the Registrar receives an approved grade adjustment request from the instructor. (If the student enrolled for S/U grading, a "U" will be assigned.). Using the grade adjustment form, instructors may or may not change the F/U to an authorized academic grade (i.e.,A,B,C,D,S or WF) but may not change it back to an "I". Instructors may not change an "I" to a "W" unless a Hardship Withdrawal is awarded. In exceptional cases, departments may authorize students to have an "I" grade for more than two semesters. Such authorizations must be approved by the department chair. The authorization to extend the "I" beyond two semesters must be renewed each semester.

Students need not be enrolled to complete assignments for a course in which a grade of "I" has been assigned. Auditing or retaking the same course will not remove an "I". No student may graduate with an incomplete grade.

Guidelines for Implementation of Policy

A. Student Responsibility to Notify Faculty: If the student does not contact the instructor regarding incomplete work, the student defaults on the assignment or examination. In that case, the instructor should grade the student accordingly, even if this results in a grade of "F" for the course. If it is later determined that the student qualified for an "I", the grade of "F" can be changed to an "I" in accordance with college and University policy. The instructor should consult his or her dean's office or department chair for applicable procedures if this case arises.

B. "Limited Assignment" Criterion: If for nonacademic reasons a student has not completed one of the following, the grade of "I" may be appropriate: final examination, term paper, performance requirement, laboratory assignment. If a significant proportion of the course is incomplete, the grade of "I" is inappropriate.

C. "Two-Week" Criterion: An "I" generally should be given only when the student fails to complete work at the very end of the term. Hence, if due dates for the assignment not completed were earlier than the last two weeks of class, or if the circumstances that caused the student not to complete the work occurred before the last two weeks of class, the student generally should not be given an "I".

D. Alternative Assignments: In working with students, faculty may choose to give students alternative, but equivalent, assignments in order to complete course requirements when completion of the original assignment is impossible or impractical.

E. Contrast of "I" to Alternative Grades: In order to determine if a grade of "I" is appropriate, it is helpful to contrast this grade with those of "W"/"WF" for hardship withdrawal and "F".

1. Comparison Of "I" To Hardship Status: The grades assigned to students granted a nonacademic hardship status leading to withdrawal after mid-term ("W"--if passing and "WF"--if not passing) are intended for students who discontinue attendance and must repeat the course in order to receive credit for it. Note that a student who does not qualify for an incomplete does not automatically qualify for hardship status; eligibility for hardship status is determined by the Office of the Dean of Students and is determined according to the individual situation. Formal application for hardship withdrawal for eligible students must be processed through the Dean of Students' Office; eligibility guidelines for hardship status may be obtained from the Dean of Students' Office. The "I", on the other hand, is for students who for nonacademic reasons do not complete some course requirement(s) during the term but who will be able to complete the requirement(s) in a timely manner without needing to attend additional classes.

It is the instructor's responsibility to determine if the student qualifies for consideration for a grade of "I". If a faculty member believes that a student who is doing passing work has a nonacademic reason for the incomplete work but judges that the proportion of incomplete work is too great to warrant a grade of "I", the faculty member may suggest that the student contact the Office of the Dean of Students to determine if hardship withdrawal status is appropriate.

2. Comparison of "I" to "F": If the reason a student does not complete one or more assignments for a course is judged by the instructor to be academic in nature or within the control of the student, then the assignments not completed should be given a grade of "F" and this "F" will be factored into the determination of the grade for the course. With heavily weighted assignments such as the final examination and the term paper, this may result in a grade of "F" for the course.

Finally, if a student is failing a course on the basis of the completed work, the student should be given an "F" for the course instead of an "I".

(Source: University Senate Resolution, October 21, 2004)

403.04 Change of Grade

A course grade will be changed by the Registrar upon receipt of a properly executed "Change of Grade" form signed by the instructor of the course, the departmental chairman, and the dean of the college by which the course is staffed. In the case of a successful student appeal under the established grade appeals procedure of the college involved, a course grade will be changed by the Registrar upon receipt of a "Course Adjustment Form" signed by the dean of the college by which the course is staffed.