| June 15 - 17, 2006 Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
The Gerontology Institute at Georgia State University, which is in its third year of a gerontology education and research partnership with Kenyatta University in Nairobi, Kenya, collaborated with the Association for Anthropology and Gerontology (AAGE) to sponsor an international conference on "Aging and Social Change in Africa", in conjunction with AAGE’s Fifth Annual Meeting.
1) To create opportunities for national and international networking among scholars and students interested in African aging.
2) To provide a forum for dissemination of findings of African aging research.
3) To expose American gerontology researchers and students to aging issues in the developing countries of Africa.
4) To encourage more interdisciplinary, collaborative research efforts between U.S. and African scholars on topics of aging.
5) To provide a forum for students and post-docs to present their work and obtain feedback in the AAGE Conference Mentoring Workshop.
Leading African and U.S. gerontologists who have conducted aging research in Africa, including:
Monica Ferreira (University of Cape Town, South Africa)
Pfizer, Inc. Sponsors Students for Aging and Social Change in Africa Conference