Sleep: Critical to Your Health
12th Grade Web Quest
by Tom Lillis
Seniors! Congratulations on completing the unit on “Keys to Healthy Living”. In the unit you learned about the importance of sleep to good health. As we discovered, a lack of sleep is a major problem in the U.S. for many teenagers and adults. The results of a lack of sleep can lead to physical, emotional, and mental health problems and have a negative impact on learning and school and work performance. You are now going to take the knowledge you have acquired and teach a lesson to 9th grade students to increase their awareness of the importance of sleep and encourage them to create or maintain good sleep habits.
You will be placed in groups of four and you will be creating a PowerPoint presentation that
will be the main teaching aide that you will use to guide your lesson on the day that your group teaches the 9th grade students. Each of you will be responsible to research a specific area regarding the topic of sleep and present that section of the presentation to the 9th grade class. This is a version of a compilation task.
According to the National Sleep Foundation (2002) almost 74% all Americans do not get enough sleep. Many poor sleep habits that last throughout adulthood begin during one's teenage years. Your team’s job is to help raise awareness of the importance of sleep to good health and good sleep habits to the 9th graders.
Each member of the group will research and present one of the following topic areas related to sleep:
Role #1: The importance and health benefits of getting enough sleep
Role #2: Adverse health effects of a lack of sleep and statistics on
sleep problems and habits
Role#3: The different stages of sleep and what happens during each
Role#4: Suggestions of habits to improve amount of sleep and to help
feeling rested more often
The following websites should be helpful in researching your topic areas:
Questions to help you your mind going about the topic?
You will be evaluated out of a score of 100 points:
Hopefully this exercise helped reinforce the importance of quality sleep to living a healthy life. Please answer the following questions as honestly as you can. Your grade will not be impacted by your answers to the reflection questions and will not be shared with anybody.
1. What were the best aspects of your PowerPoint Presentation? Why?
2. What areas of the PowerPoint Presentation needed more work? How could they have been improved?
3. What are your perceptions of how the 9th graders received your presentation? What, if any, specific feedback did you get from any of the 9th grade students that you taught?
4. How did your approach to completing a project that needs to be taught to other students compare to your approach to a completing a project that you just need to submit to your teacher for evaluation?
5. What was the most time-consuming part of working on this project?
6. How many group sessions and how many hours would estimate that you worked in groups face to face?
7. How did you feel about working on a group project when you received the assignment? How did you feel about working on the group project after you completed the assignment?
(Clip Art from Microsoft)