A Health and Fitness Announcement!
Congratulations! You are one of five reporters working on a five part health series. This is your first job pursuing a career in public television and your first assignment is to video tape a Public Service Announcement (PSA) on one of the five components of fitness. You are going to work with a group researching the internet on interesting facts and statistics supporting your topic. Now let’s get started!!!!
The task of the PSA series is both a group and individual project. Since you are reporting on one of the five components of fitness you must divide into groups of five. In your groups each person will draw to see which component they will report on. Then you are to research the internet on your fitness component and tell why it is important to your health and the health of the general public. Each student will video and report their PSA on one interesting fact and one statistic on one the following…
1. Body Composition
2. Cardiovascular endurance
4. Muscular Strength
5. Muscular Endurance
How do I get started?
1. Get into groups of 5. Once you have gotten into these groups write each fitness component on a piece of paper and draw to see which one you get.
2. Once you have received your fitness component please answer the following questions from your research on the internet. These questions will help you to write the script for your PSA.
First question to answer by each reporter!
1. What fitness component am I reporting my PSA on?
Body Composition: www.americanheart.org
1. What is body composition?
2. Why is body composition important?
3. How does our body fat compare to that of Canada?
Cardiovascular Endurance: www.health-get.com
1. What is cardiovascular endurance?
2. Compare the cardiovascular health of America to another country.
3. What are some exercises we can do to increase our cardiovascular endurance?
1. Why do we measure muscular flexibility?
2. How does stretching prevent injury?
3. How flexible is America? Find an interesting statistic. www.thestretchinghandbook.com
Muscular Strength: www.lauralee.com
1. Why is muscular strength important?
2. What is one statistic of the overall strength of Americans compared to another country?
3. What are some ways to measure muscular strength?
1. What is definition of muscular endurance?
2. Why is it important?
3. What is one statistic in America on muscular endurance compared to the endurance of another country?
Here are some additional websites to help with researching your topic.
3. PSA Research
a. Together as a group read what a PSA is and view a sample PSA and decide the criteria for writing and taping an effective PSA www.acsm.org/reg_chapters/resourses/PSA’s.htm
b. After researching your fitness component write a script based on your findings. (see evaluation for script criteria)
c. Practice reading your scripts.
d. Then videotape each person on ONE tape. Each group member should tape someone’s PSA.
e. We will download one copy to the school website and present the other to the class for voting.
10 points script /resources
35 points PSA presentation/final taping
10 points group participation/ evaluations
50 total points
Criteria for grading
Written in ALL capitals
Must turn in a least 3 resources
Has been proof read
Answered all focus questions
PSA presentation/final taping:
No more than 2 minutes in length
Speak clearly and loudly
Each person is to tape someone else
Your peers will evaluate you on the following…
Did you complete the task?
Did you do your part to participate in the group project by bringing ideas for discussion?
Did you participate in the final videotaping?
Were you able to communicate with your group effectively and with a good attitude?
Through this activity you will learn what a PSA is and how to write and tape an effective script. You will learn several interesting facts and statistics on the 5 components of fitness and compare them to the health of another country.
4. Did you learn anything new on the five components of fitness?
ALL FINAL VIDEOTAPING WILL BE VOTED ON BY YOUR CLASSMATES! THE WINNER WILL BE SHOW TO EVERYONE AT THE NEXT SCHOOL HEALTHFAIR.