Skip to Content | Text-only

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to be certified to teach in public schools in the state of Georgia?
  • Yes

Who certifies teachers in Georgia?
  • The Georgia Professional Standards Commission

If I already have a degree in French, German, or Spanish, will I be exempt from having to take all of the target language classes?
  • No.  It is possible to transfer some of the target language credits from your previous university.  However, if it has been awhile since taking classes in the target language or if you fail the department proficiency exam, you will be required to take target language courses.  Also, if you have not met the specific course requirements as prescribed by the PSC, you will have to take those courses as well.

How long does it take to complete the program?
  • It depends on how many classes you take each semester and if you have any transfer credits from your previous university.  If you take 2 classes per semester then it will take approximately 2.5 to 3 years.

When should I apply to the Teacher Education program?

What are the deadlines to submit the online Practicum, Student Teaching, &/or Internship forms?
  • February 1st for the Fall semester
  • September 1st for the Spring semester

If I make a grade of B- in a FORL or target language class will it count towards my program?
  • No, you must make a minimum grade of a B for the FORL and target language classes.  For the EDUC & EXC the minimum requirement is a grade of a C.