Georgia State University is situated in a mixed-use commercial area of downtown Atlanta. It is an active urban community comprising local, state, and national government offices, community service organizations (such as the United Way headquarters), office buildings, and retail establishments all woven through the city’s downtown historic districts. (See Image 3.4)
The majority of the campus district is urban core that has been developed and redeveloped for nearly two centuries. (See Image 3.1) No natural systems are present other than the topography. The campus ranges in elevation from 1010 to 1050 feet above sea level. Georgia State is generally lower than the elevation of primary downtown landmarks, including the State Capitol building and major buildings along Peachtree Street. This elevation difference provides for views to landmark buildings from within the campus. (See Image 3.3)
Available housing continues to increase. Central Atlanta Progress has identified only seven apartment buildings and eight residential condominiums in and immediately adjacent to the campus district. Most are recent conversions to loft apartments in buildings formerly used as offices or warehouses scattered throughout downtown. These residential developments are primarily appropriate for working professionals.
Properties directly controlled by the university are generally non-contiguous sites scattered around a 50-acre urban district and connected by the public street network in downtown Atlanta.
A main cluster of university buildings is centered along Decatur Street, reaching from Pryor Street on the west to Butler Street on the east. An additional cluster of university buildings is located in the Fairlie Poplar Historic District. Along with Georgia State, this historic district is intertwined with the Central Business District of Atlanta. (See Image 3.2) It contains the largest and most concentrated intact portion of Atlanta’s late nineteenth and early twentieth century central business district. The university’s campus district or area of influence is now expanding significantly with the addition of the 2,000-bed Piedmont-Ellis residential complex which began construction in late 2005 at the intersection of Piedmont Avenue and Ellis Street, three blocks north of Edgewood. (See Figure 3.1)
© 2006 Georgia State University.