The Office of New Student Orientation and Parent Relations introduces new undergraduate students to Georgia State University by offering orientation programs that facilitate student integration into curricular, co-curricular, and University life. The office also provides programs that enhance student development through involvement and leadership opportunities and offers programs that integrate parents and families into the Georgia State community.
Programs and Organizations
- Incept: New Student Orientation - New Student Orientation is mandatory for all new freshmen and strongly encouraged for all new transfer students. There are several formats for the Incept: New Student Orientation program. The Office of New Student Orientaion and Parent Relations designs different Incept conference days to meet the specific needs of new students. Incept offers one-day and two-day Orientation programs for new freshmen students and offers one-day and ½-day Orientation programs for new transfer students.
- Parent Relations - The Georgia State University Parents Association is an organization that provides parents of Georgia State students with a special connection to the University. The Association provides parents with an opportunity to remain actively involved with their student as they journey through the college experience together. Parents who join the Association have special access to Georgia State and all the many wonderful events and programs that happen each day on campus. The organization strengthens connections by providing publications, programming, and a variety of ways for its members to become involved.
Check out the Georgia State University Parent Guide
- Panther Welcome - Panther Welcome is the official Georgia State University fall welcome program. Panther Welcome is planned by a university-wide committee and is spread out over the first two weeks of each fall semester. The annual welcome program begins with new freshmen move in and traditionally ends with a Labor Day Luau at Indian Creek Recreation Center. Traditional welcome event favorites are Freshman Convocation, Georgia State Idol, and the annual Student Organization Street Fair. Panther Welcome is designed for both new and returning students and welcomes over 18,000 students, faculty, staff, parents, and alumni each year.
- Freshmen Convocation - Freshman Convocation is a formal induction ceremony of the freshmen class each fall semester into the academic community of Georgia State University. Just as the graduation commencement serves as a ritual marking the completion of study, convocation is a ritual to signal the beginning of a college career. The University President presides over this event and leads students in the reciting of the freshmen pledge and the freshmen medallion ceremony. The ceremony is attended by the President, Provost, College Deans, Student Government President, and many distinguished faculty and staff members.
- Family Weekend - The purpose of Family Weekend is to gather students and their families together to enjoy a weekend of fun, food, and family each fall on the Georgia State campus. With events such as parent discussions, information sessions, real-life classroom experiences, and day trips in the city, the weekend allows families to get a feel for the GSU experience and explore historic downtown Atlanta. The fun continues with activities for the entire family, such as caricatures, spin art, GSU football, basketball, and a blue and white breakfast with a special guest speaker.
Student Involvement Opportunities
- Alpha Lambda Delta: Freshmen Honor Society - Alpha Lambda Delta (ALD), established in 1924, is a national honor society for first year students. The Alpha Lambda Delta chapter at Georgia State University fosters students’ professional and personal development through scholarship, service, and leadership opportunities.
- Tau Sigma: Transfer Honor Society - Tau Sigma is an academic honor society designed specifically to recognize and promote the academic excellence and involvement of transfer students. The Tau Sigma chapter at Georgia State University fosters transfer students professional and personal development through scholarship, service, and leadership opportunities.