Admissions and Standards Committee

Motion to Revise the Incomplete Grade Policy


Effective Fall 2004, the policy on Changes in Grades (Section 1350.20, 2. of the 2004-2005 Catalog) is modified as follows:



Removal of an Incomplete. A student receiving a grade of I (incomplete) is expected to consult with the instructor within the prescribed time limit and to complete all necessary work. The period of time given to a student to remove a grade of I is established by the instructor, subject only to the maximum time limit set by the university. The university requires that a grade of I be removed not later than the end of the second academic term after the grade of I was assigned (whether or not the student was enrolled during these two terms). The Office of the Registrar will assign a grade of F at the end of the second academic term unless the Office of the Registrar receives an approved grade adjustment form from the instructor. (If the student enrolled for S/U grading, a U will be assigned.) Using the grade adjustment form, instructors may or may not change this F/U to an any authorized academic grade (i.e., e.g., A, B, C, D, S or WF etc.) but may not change it back to an I. Instructors may not change an I to a W unless a Hardship Withdrawal is awarded. In exceptional cases, departments may authorize students to have an I grade for more than two semesters. Such authorizations must be approved by the department chair. The authorization to extend the I beyond two semesters must be renewed each semester. Students need not be enrolled to complete assignments for a course in which a grade of I has been assigned. Auditing or retaking the same course will not remove a grade of I. No student may graduate with an incomplete grade.


The current text has two flaws. It overlooks the possibility of S/U grading. The phrase "(e.g. A, B, C, D, S, etc.)" is not sufficiently clear. The revisions indicate the policy for S/U grading. (This policy is current practice.) The also clarify the notion of an academic grade. In this context, academic grades are those which figure into the GPA. Those grades are explicitly listed so that students know the instructor's options.

Admissions and Standards Index || Senate Committee Index || Senate Index || GSU Home Page

Revised 4/19/00