Core Curriculum Description
Political science majors earn a B.A. degree. They must take the core curriculum required of all B.A. students in their first two years. Area F below is part of that core, but is designed for the political science major.
In the third and fourth years, students take the courses indicated below under major requirements, depending on the concentration chosen.
AREA F REQUIREMENTS. COURSES APPROPRIATE TO THE MAJOR FIELD FOR ALL CONCENTRATIONS:
- Pols 2401 Global Issues (If not taken in Area E).
- Second semester of foreign language.
- Take two of the following: Econ 2105, Econ 2106, Soci 1101.
- Select additional courses from the following to complete 18 hours in Area F:
- Anth 1010
- AAS 2010
- Econ 2105
- Econ 2106
- Engl 2150
- Geog 1101
- Geog 2202
- Hist 1111
- Hist 1112
- Hist 2110
- Hist 1130
- Lang 2001
- Lang 2002
- Math 1070
- Math 1113
- Math 1220
- Math 2211
- Phil 1010 (*note: only 2-credit hours)
- Phil 2010
- PolS 2101
- Psyc 1010
- Soci 1101
- Soci 1160
- WSt 2010
Requirements for a Minor in Political Science
- Students wishing to minor in political science should take 15 hours of political science courses at the 3000 level or above.
- Students seeking to take a minor in political science/pre-law should take PolS 3140, 4130, 4131, and two courses from PolS 3110, 3145, 3170, 3700, 3750, 3770, 4115, 4157, 4180, 4420, 4425, 4427, 4570, and 4780.
- Students seeking to take a minor in political science/international affairs should take PolS 2401 (if not taken in Area E), 3200, 3400, and nine additional hours at the 3000 level or above in comparative or international politics.
The Department participates in the Honors Program and encourages qualified students to participate in the program. See the undergraduate catalog for more information.
The Department has an exchange program with the University of Lincoln in England. Students spend one semster in residence, and classes are treated on a cross-registration basis.
Internship and Practicum Credit
Applicants for internships must meet departmental prerequisites. Internship and practicum credit may not be applied toward the major or minor, but may be used as elective credit. Such credit includes: POLS 4930, POLS 4931, POLS 4940, POLS 4950, POLS 4951, POLS 4052, POLS 4955.