UNIVERSITY SENATE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
December 1, 2009
Present: President Mark Becker, Provost Risa Palm, Paul Alberto, Dabney Dixon, Elizabeth Beck, Siva Nathan, Jeff Rupp, Don Rietzes
I. The minutes from the October 8, 2009 meeting were approved.
II. President’s Report -
Ř President Becker continues to speak at Rotary and Kiwanis Meetings. GSU Alums have been present at some of those meetings and they are very excited about how GSU has changed since their time here. The goal is to continue to change the commuter school image.
Ř University Relations is doing research on documenting perceptions of GSU by various constituencies. The priority is making sure that the University is appropriately understood and appreciated for what, and who we are.
Ř State revenue numbers continue to go down; however, we are still within the planned parameters and no other layoffs or furloughs are needed.
Ř The 2CI was launched.
III. Provost's Report –
Ř A strategic planning committee is going to be appointed soon. There will be a visit from David Ward and Maury Cotter in early January to give a sense of pre-planning. A trip is being planned to visit Arizona State University to look at their strategic plan.
A. University Statutes and Senate Bylaws Committee
1. Revise Membership of the Senate Budget Committee - Change the VP of External Affairs to the Director of the Office of Government and Community Affairs. The motion was passed.
B. Admissions and Standards Committee
1. Corrections to Academic Calendar: minor adjustments to exam dates during mini-mesters – The motion passed as an information item.
2. University Policy on Minors – The motion passed (info only)
3. Revise the Membership of Enrollment Management Committee (information item) – Added the Associate Provost for Institutional Effectiveness, the Academic Director for Student Retention and the Director of the University Honors Program.
C. Faculty Affairs Committee
1. Procedure for the Evaluation of Administrators - There were a number of changes made to the procedures. (1) Revising the clause referring to the timeline for evaluation of administrators was clarified to read that an evaluation will be conducted by an elected Ad Hoc Evaluation Committee during the spring semester of the third year, and every fifth year thereafter. (2) The addition of Outside Evaluators. There was some discussion on the type of person who would be chosen to be an outside evaluator. (3) E-mail follow-up will now be done in order to increase participation. (4) Comments from all sections of the survey submitted by an individual respondent will be presented in one place. (5) The statement referring to the Provost making a reappointment of the VP was deleted.
There were concerns expressed about the dates on follow-up reports. The statements “on or before” as it relates to the dates will be revised to read “on or about” until a statement is obtained from Legal Affair indicating the flexibility of the dates.
Motion - The Faculty Affairs Committee recommends that the University Senate pass the revised procedures on the evaluation of the administrators.
For this cycle, deans that have not been previously evaluated in their third year will be evaluated. Deans who have already been evaluated will be moved back two years to the five-year period. Instruments forwarded for Vice President for Research, Associate Provost for Institutional Effectiveness, Associate Provost for International Affairs, and Academic Deans.
A marked up copy will be provided to Faculty Affairs before the Senate meeting.
2. Tenure Clock Stoppage and Leave Proposal
A detailed discussion related to issues surrounding tenure clock stoppage and leave proposal was held. The committee agreed to inform Faculty Affairs that this proposal is being held for consultation with the University Attorney, and ask the Faculty Affairs Committee to join the Senate Executive Committee in requesting an extension of the current temporary policy until a formal policy is adopted.
D. Discussion Item
1. Speaker or December 10, 2009 Senate Meeting will be Provost Palm who will discuss plans for Strategic Planning.
The next Senate Executive Committee Meeting will be Monday, March 15, 2010, at 2:00.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:25 p.m.